pause in conversation
i got the new iphone this week, and i thought when i opened up imessage that i would find a clean slate for every conversation. but, as you all probably know, it keeps all your old texts! i think i like this, although i think i was also looking forward to starting over some relationships on a new note, of sorts, which i realize i could do at any time by deleting it but that seems so vicious and also something that someone does when they’re cheating and feels gross.
so, i decided to scroll down to the verrry bottom of imessage to see who my oldest message was. (i got my old phone in march 2011) i had guesses. but the answer surprised me!
wyatt. a correspondance when we both, a year after graduation, saw each other across the room in rand. because, of course. i texted to ask if that was him, he concurred, we met on the steps of sarratt.
after that (minus group texts or situations where someone’s number changed, which doesn’t count):
- my adopted little adpi sister
- one of my friend’s old roommate
- a girl from college who also lives here, although i forgot that until just now
- my cousin’s wife kathy
- another girl i just remembered lives here
- my old dgroup leader lauren
- glenna, who i still consider my work wife and is listed by first name only, because
- mal’s twin
- coworker julie
this was an entertaining exercise, catching little glimpses of conversations from two years ago. comparing where i am to my 10 most recent text conversations:
- allison (asking if she wants my arugula, which i bought on accident thinking i was grabbing spinach)
- emma’s husband jeremy (texting me a photo of their halloween costumes)
- keith (with general life/job wisdom)
- emma (although actually this was mostly jeremy texting from emma’s phone, but initially it was her relaying that she had finally broken down and bought maternity clothes)
- tyler (letting him know he was missing me in prime form at work today: no makeup and eating peanut butter and candy corn for lunch, while also having aggressive phone conversations #leanin)
- kiely (analyzing my possible date from last night, who may be gay)
- austin (possible date)
- mal (re: cute pregnancy announcements)
- group mms with keith and mary, which is its own entity (halloween costumes in our respective workplaces)
- megan (her dressed up ghost-robot, a product of our target date the night before)
i think that pretty much captures my life in this phase exactly.